So this happened.
I have a habit of gathering all the necessary ingredients before starting my kitchen adventure. This sounds like a perfect and organised idea but not when the laptop is part of it. I need my kitchen beats which is actually a Youtube playlist by my boy. So every time I cook, my is laptop there and sometimes I worry about cooking my laptop too. This very laptop which I am now using had been covered in flour, butter on its trackpad and maybe a little too much honey on its screen. So thank you my lovely laptop for staying intact despite all these hardships. And for this recipe , a little too much desiccated coconut might have been spilled on the keyboard. But its well worth the sacrifice because the scones came out so well with the yummy smell of coconuts. For nuts lovers , do add in a handful of crushed almonds for an extra crunch to your scones. This is another healthy wholemeal snack and breakfast!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
5 tbsp cold salted butter
2 medium sized ripe bananas (mashed)
1/4 cup milk of choice
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1) Combine flour, desiccated coconut, cinnamon and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
2) Using a knife, cut the cold butter into the flour. Make sure it is cut into tiny pieces.
3) Add the mashed bananas into a measuring cup and add enough milk to make up one cup of liquid. Add the vanilla essence to the mixture.
4) Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl and mix well. Knead the dough using your hands to ensure that it is well combined.
5) Roll the dough into a large ball and flatten it to form a dough slightly thicker than a thick pizza crust. Cut the dough into eight slices and lay it apart on a lined baking tray.
6) Baked for 15 minutes at 160 degrees.
Breakfast is one of the most important meal for me. Well actually all meals are. So when I made some apple butter, I thought why not mix it and make some applepie-like chia pudding. It turned out awesome and I hope you will like it as much as I did.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp homemade apple butter (sweetened)
A pinch of cinnamon powder
Additional maple syrup if required
1) Mix all the ingredients in a clear airtight jar. Give it a good shake then leave it in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight. Do add some cooked apples on it before serving.
I have always enjoyed eating granola bars till I read the back of the box. It was a mind-blowing moment. I never knew that I was consuming that much sugar and fats from that tiny bar. That little innocent looking bar which I thought was healthy. But nothing is going to stand between me and my granola bars after this awesome recipe! In fact, I had to take a picture of it soon after making before I devoured all of it.
Modified from recipe by Half Baked harvest
2 cups rolled oats ( do toast if for about 15 minutes for a nice crunchy texture )
1 1/2 cup rice krispies
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup whole roasted almonds, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup of toasted melon seeds
1) Measure all dry ingredients and mix it up in a large bowl
2) Using a water bath, heat up the peanut butter and honey mixture. When the mixture becomes more liquid, add in the vanilla essence. Stir till combined and when the mixture feels liquid enough to be mixed.
3) Pour in the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well
4) Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the wet granola mixture. Using the back of a spoon, press in the granola mixture to ensure that it is compact.
5) Freeze it for about an hour before placing it in the oven at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes.
6) VIOLA! You have succeeded in making your own granola bars ! Say goodbye to store-bought bars because these are so so good .
The original recipe called for a yogurt coating however I felt that the granola bar was sweet without the coating. I actually did the yogurt coating this time but the next time I will not. But for those with a sweet tooth, do try the amazing yogurt coating in the linked recipe.