Matt Damon bought a zoo while I bought a pumpkin. Just like him in the movie , I thought “Why not?” . I am the only pumpkin eater in my family and I am not even that much of a pumpkin lover. Darn you Buzzfood, for all that yummy pumpkin recipes! So I baked my sweet pumpkin and dug out a huge bowl of soft pumpkin flesh to be consumed over the week. My brain said, “Challenge accepted “but I knew my belly thought otherwise. On hindsight, I should have gotten the smallest pumpkin. But what’s life without regrets? So here is the first of my pumpkin recipes, I present the pumpkin crackers.
Adapted from recipe by Karma Per Diem
2 cups wheat flour (sieved)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/3 cup milk
Some pumpkin / sunflower seeds for pressing onto the crackers before baking
1) In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add in the pumpkin puree and mix till combined.
2) Add in the milk and sunflower oil into the dry mixture. Mix till a soft dough is formed.
3) Divide the dough into three equal portions. Dust the surface of each dough with flour.
4) On a dusted surface, use a pin to gently roll the dough till about 1.5cm thickness. Using a knife , cut the sheet into bite sized pieces.
5) Press in the seeds on the surface of the cut dough or sprinkle it with a mixture a brown sugar cinnamon
6) Carefully lay each cracker on a lined baking tray and bake it at 170 degrees for 10 minutes.
7) It should stay well in an airtight container for a week or more. Should it turn soft, just pop it back into the oven for a couple of minutes.