A perfect start to the weekend is with a wholesome homemade breakfast. A bad week at work or a terrible hangover from the partying on Friday night disappears with a great breakfast. My first attempt at making pancakes from scratch was with him and today it was different to be doing it alone. Cooking is not just something we do for survival . It is a bonding activity, the act of caring and it always tastes better when a little of your soul is in it. Loving what you are doing always makes it a lot better.
This is a basic recipe so feel free to add in some of your favourite fruits. Add some oatmeal and banana into your batter for some extra punch!
1 cup low fat milk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 cup whole wheat flour ( sieved )
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
Some low fat butter to grease the pan
1) Mix the milk and the vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for around 5 minutes .
2) In a big bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder.
3) Add the milk and egg into the dry mixture. Whisk the mixture till it forms a smooth batter.
4) In a heated pan, add in the butter. Twirl the butter around the base of the pan to ensure that it is evenly coated.
5) Adjust the fire to medium low heat and add a large scoop of batter to the pan. Cook till it turns brown one side before flipping it over to cook the other side.
6) Serve with a side of sliced bananas and blueberries! Skanu!