As a kid, I always looked forward to the occasional pizza treats. Not because pizza is really pricey but my mum was really concerned about how unhealthy it was. So as I embarked on my journey towards healthy eating , I decided that nothing shall between me and my pizza. And I am excited to share this great news with everyone ! PIZZA CAN BE HEALTHY ! This pizza crust is made entirely from cauliflower flower and with zero trace of flour. It works perfectly for those who are allergic to gluten. I modified the original recipe and made a thin crust pizza. I absolutely adore thin crust pizza and it brings back memories of my Italy travels. Those warm thin crust pizza during the cold winter nights.
Adapted from recipe by Detoxinista
INGREDIENTS ( pizza crust )
4 cups raw cauliflower rice
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1) Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until a rice-like texture is achieved
2) Boil a large pot of water and add the cauliflower rice to the pot. Let it boil for about 4-5 minutes before using a fine mesh-strainer to strain out the cooked “rice”.
3) Place the “rice”on a clean cheese cloth and squeeze it. Given that it will be hot , do run it under cold water for a few seconds before squeezing. Ensure that the “rice” is squeezed till dry.
4) Pour the “rice” and all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
5) Press out the dough on a lined baking tray. I flattened my dough till it was thin like an omelette however the thickness depends on individual preference. Bake the crust in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 30 minutes.
7) After adding your toppings, pop it back into the oven for another ten minutes. Just ten more minutes and you will be with a healthy and tasty pizza!
Do make a few more and store it in the freezer. Then just pop it into the oven for a few minutes when needed. This is also a perfect way to get kids to eat their vegetables.